Monday, June 15, 2009

10 Things That Give Me Joy These Days

1) The pink hydrangea growing under our bedroom window.

Yes, I know, blue hydrangeas are my thing, but I've never seen a plant like this: it is almost like it was rendered by the pointillism fellows. Each petal seems to be a different color, and the juxtaposed colors create brand new colors, mixtures of watery greeny pink and chalky pinky blue...stunning.

2) Eating in bed, while reading a book, especially on a sunny day.

OK, eating anywhere while reading a book gives me joy, but in bed and while the sun is shining brightly outside is the definition of decadence to me. The world is telling you you should be outside, and you are doing the precise opposite, doing exactly what you please, ignoring all outside promptings, cuddling into the cool sheets while placating your tastebuds and disappearing into another world, crumbs in the sheets be damned!

3) Adventuring with Bruno and then sleeping in the car on the way home.

I love the adventures Bruno and I take. I love our talks as we drive by beautiful scenery. I love hiking off into the hills or kayaking off into the seas. I love the things we find to eat and to drink, sometimes right off the trees themselves. And I particularly love when we are all talked out and walked out and wined and dined, to give in to the sleepy feeling that moving vehicles have always engendered in me (the reason they would never let me drive the van when we were on tour), and falling into delicious, drool spilling out the side of my mouth sleep, while my Prince Charming brings me safely home.

4) Rehearsing. Anything.

I love rehearsing so much. I think I love it more than performing. The art of creating, of fooling around, throwing around ideas, trying things out, failing in big ways when it doesn't count at all and then finding the perfect, fabulous, genius thing you never would have found if you hadn't tried and failed so many times before. LOVE IT.

5) Listening to my Ipod on Shuffle in the car.

It completely cracks me up when Janis Joplin rocking out is follow by some dire snippet from Les Miserables, which is then followed by a Brandenburg Concerto, after which Anything Goes comes brightly through the speakers. And I sing my lungs out to all of them. Even the Concerto.

6) The San Mateo Farmer's Market, Tues, Wed and Sat.

Oh my G-d, I love the farmer's market. I love feeling the seasons change by the new produce arriving on the stands. I love having a fridge full of kale and chard and English peas. I love the black pluots resting next to the yellow heirloom tomatoes in my fruit bowl. I love how sweet and juicy and fabulous even carrots taste out here. As I write, I am sitting here enjoying the incredible smell of the nectarines we bought this weekend.

7) Candlelit breakfast with Bruno on a weekday.

Because why the hell not. Life can be super crappy, so why not celebrate all the moments that don't happen to be.

8) Checking the mail, and the e-mail and the cellphone and the Facebook.

OK, I admit it. I'm a communication junkie and I just love hearing from people and writing back. I crave contact and attention and and it makes me so happy to get it.

9) All white cheddar flavored organic puff-like products, and especially "Tings"

I don't know why, but these "healthier for you" (ha ha) versions of Cheetos make me feel unbelievable amounts of happiness. Especially when I get the chance to eat them without Bruno censoring the quanity. He's right, and I always make myself sick when I eat them unchecked, but I don't care: that salty, cheesy, corn crunchy goodness with no end is sight is worth the tummy ache after.

10) Falling asleep to the sounds of some horrible, National Geographic, "River Monsters" show, while cuddled up into Bruno's chest.

Nothing better in the world.

No comments: