Friday, September 18, 2009

Happy New Year

Yes, I made a Challah. I still don't know my relationship to the holidays or my higher power right now, but I've always been clear on my relationship to food.

It is an all day project. You sprinkle yeast on top of warm water and sugar and let it activate, you add oil, more water and sugar, eggs and flour and beat it well. You turn it out onto a floured board and knead it for ten minutes, adding flour when it becomes too sticky, water when it becomes too dry. You round it up in a greased bowl, cover it and let it rest in a warm place until it doubles in size (usually two hours). You punch it back down, and let it double again. Next you work the twice risen dough into a snake, coil it around itself to make the circular Challah, and let it rise one more time. Paint it with egg yolk, sprinkle it with poppy seeds, bake it for 25 minutes and you have your very own Challah. It gave me great comfort to make it this year, as it does each year, to take the time and care to do it and to connect with my mother who taught me how, and her mother who taught her how. Ritual.

I wasn't brave enough to return to synagogue yet. Bruno and I sat outside in the Tiki Room and ate the holiday meal (I also made Brisket), and talked about the events of this past year, and how we'd like to find the strength to remain open and unjaded as we continue to walk this path and pursue our dream. Actually, I talked about all that, and Bruno put up with me. Good man

No comments: