Saturday, January 16, 2010

White Flag

I am wrestling with some angel inside myself, and finding myself ready to surrender.

I've always been an info gal: gotta know! We did a CVS with Pedro and Archer without doing any other tests first: we just wanted to know for sure if anything was wrong, and we chose CVS instead of the less risky Amnio because we were planning to be on our cross-country trip during our Amnio window. I could just scream when I think now of how blithe we were, and how we tried to micro-manage everything, really believing that we could. Now, here I sit with statistics for downs syndrome that, while certainly not bad, are far from comforting, sitting right on the cusp of a positive test, a red flag. I can chose to know for sure, and take the higher risk involved with amnio for twins, piercing my uterus twice when we are working so hard to keep it calm and non-contracting. And then if (pu-pu) we find that one of our girls has downs, take the 5-10% risk that in terminating one twin we lose them both.

Or, I can surrender. I can say, "99.7% is a really good chance that nothing is wrong. I'm going to have faith in that, and if one of them has downs, then Bruno and I will be really really upset, and then we will suck it up and learn all the lessons and blessings in raising a downs child. And her sibling will also find her way to learn and grow from it.

"But", my mind screams, "this is not who I am at all!!! I am a gal who needs to know!! I need to manage!! I don't want my life changed by a special needs child!!" Except, my heart seems ready to surrender. It doesn't want to take any more risks of pregnancy loss. It doesn't want to need to know that last 3/10ths of a percent. It wants to lean back into the pillows and stay calm and see what happens next. And I am going through the stretching and tearing and growing pains of expanding into that new person.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You've been blessed Lisa... follow your heart

Unknown said...

Hey I found these interesting probabilities for you:

Odds of being killed sometime in any sort of transportation accident: 1 in 77
Odds of being killed in any sort of non-transportation accident: 1 in 69
Odds of getting away with murder: 1 in 2
Odds of being the victim of serious crime: 1 in 20
Odds of being murdered: 1 in 210 (with a fire arm 1 in 202)
Odds of dying from poisoning 1 in 344
Odds that a first marriage will survive without separation or divorce for 15 years: 1 in 1.3
Odds of getting hemorrhoids: 1 in 25
Odds of being on plane with a drunken pilot: 1 in 117
Odds of winning a straight up on a single number in online roulette: 1 in 37
Odds of being audited by the IRS: 1 in 175
Odds of having your identity stolen: 1 in 200
Odds of dating a millionaire: 1 in 215
Odds of writing a New York Times best seller: 1 in 220
Odds of finding out your child is a genius: 1 in 250
Chance of winning a bingo game where 100 players manage four cards each: 1 in 100
Chance of having a stroke: 1 in 6
Chance of dying from heart disease: 1 in 3
Chance of getting arthritis: 1 in 7
Chance of suffering from asthma or allergy diseases: 1 in 6
Chance of getting the flu this year: 1 in 10
Chance of American man developing cancer: 1 in 2
Chance of an American woman developing cancer : 1 in 3
Chance of getting prostate cancer: 1 in 6
Chance of getting breast cancer: 1 in 9
Chance of getting colon / rectal cancer: 1 in 26

I think 1 in 300 is GOOD!!! : )