Thursday, February 4, 2010

Just The Facts, Ma'am, Week 19

Today's appointment was with the Ob/Gyn, Dr. R.

Baby girl A and B are looking great: kicking around, kicking each other, playing Red Rover with the membrane separating them. They are in constant motion. Dr. R remarked that they seem to take after their mother. I think he just doesn't know Bruno that well yet.

My cervix is measuring 4.3, down a bit from the 4.7 of two weeks ago, and the 5.0 of the month before that, but Dr. R assures me that this is totally normal and well within the range of what a cervix should measure at this point in a pregnancy. They don't start to worry about a cervical measure until it falls below 2.5, so we are still way above that.

There was some funneling (opening), at the internal os of the cervix (the side closest to the uterus). Oh, how I'd hoped to go our whole pregnancy and never hear the "f" word. But, again, Dr. R assures me that this is totally normal at this point in a second pregnancy and says he'd be surprised if he didn't see this. I asked if I should stop my 20 minute walks, or get in bed and stay there: he said no need for that. I cross-referenced this with my perinatologist, Dr. K, who writes back, "My feel is that nothing has changed so far. See you next week"

OK then. No one is concerned. This is normal. I even call my sister-in-law who tells me that, at week 19 of the pregnancy she just successfully navigated, she had funneling and her cervical measure was only 3.0.

OK then. Everyone stay calm. No need for alarm.

Except it sounds so exactly like the beginnings of what happened last time that I notice I slyly skipped my 20 minute walk today, choosing instead to spend the day in bed, napping. And I notice that I haven't yet told Bruno the full details of today's appointment, other than to say that Dr. R says all is normal, out of fear that Bruno would swim to Croatia to retrieve his Mama, swim back with her on his shoulders and then order her to sit on my hair all day in order to keep me lying in bed.

These are some things that I notice.

And those are the facts.

No comments: