Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Love Letter to my Husband

I just want to let you know,
that I know how hard you are working
now that you are doing both of our jobs.

That I know how frustrating it is
to go to three different markets
to collect all the things we love to eat
and come home, only to realize
you have forgotten the one thing
we actually needed in the first place
and that your work is not yet done

And I know how frustrating it is
to make the meals I used to make
with me shouting in the recipes
from my position of repose on the couch

And I know how frustrating it is
that I say, "What?"
to almost everything you say
because my head is perpetually pressed
into pillows
And that I can no longer answer the question,
"Hey hon, where is the ...."
About anything.

And I know that, even after 6 years,
my Croatian grammar still sucks.
And you are right: the fax really doesn't have to be sent
right this very minute.

But most of all
I can only imagine how frustrating it must be
To care as much as you do
To be as scared as you must be
To want to make everything all better
And keep us all safe and sound
And to be utterly powerless to do so.

Except you do
you do so, every day
I may be carrying our children
But you are carrying everything else.
And I want you to know that I know it
And I appreciate it
And I love you.

No comments: