Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A good day

Yesterday, I had a good day. Today, not so much, but yesterday was a good day. For the first time in what feels like forever, I went through the day without heaviness in my heart. I still thought of the boys, even talked about them at length with a dear friend, but that weight, that heaviness, that slight, quivering, gray shade that permeates most of my minutes was absent for a whole day.

It was weird.

I didn't know what to make of it.

I felt I should analyze it, try to understand what caused it so I could replicate it, or, if it was unworthy in origin, if it was escapism instead of healing, I could properly excoriate myself and make sure this sort of thing didn't happen again.

My mother suggested that maybe I should just be glad. Take it as a gift.

Interesting.

For those of your keeping score at home, that would be Mom: 1, Neurotic Overthinker: 0

1 comment:

Alyson Strong Pitt said...

Listen to your mother! I too, think it was a gift and hope that you have more days like it. Miss you loads! Alyson