Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ultasound Junkie

My name is Lisa, and I'm an ultrasound junkie. It's been 2 days and 11 hours since my last encounter with the transducer.

At first, I could make it almost two weeks before I'd be jonesing for my next hit of the sonar induced serenity of seeing my cervix stable. But as the weeks went on, the addiction grew stronger and I'd need a new fix after only 6 or so days. This week I hit an all time low: a mere two days after I last gelled up, I was curled up on my bed, crying with desperation for another dose, nothing big, just a small peek to help smooth things out. Come on, man: I need this.

I'm not the only junkie living under this roof. My partner is a real enabler. He saw me curled up on the bed, shaking with need, and he actually encouraged me to call my dealer/doctor to schedule a fix. And he drove me there, and held my hand while Dr. Dealer doled out a hit of transducer tranquility. And he too felt the sweet relief as the sound waves flowed through my body, and images of an unchanged cervix flowed onto the screen.

My next hit is in a mere 3 hours, so today is a good day.

1 comment:

Mama Jen said...

Rest assured, you are not alone.

We rented a doppler machine during our subsequent pregnancy, which was a great security blanket and totally worth the cost.

There are worse things to be hooked on...