Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Elevator Up

And this morning, I feel hopeful.

Everyone is kicking away inside, and so far today I'm not in labor, whereas at 24 weeks and 2 days last time I was convulsing with pain, not knowing what was going on, with Dr. Gloom and Doom unreachable in surgery. Pedro's water broke later that day.

So this is definitely better than that.

And I've got the PlayGround plays to read and help select over the next two days, so that gives purpose, direction and distraction: all excellent survival tools.

And Mama Ratka arrives tomorrow, which is going to ease all kinds of burdens and tensions.

I thought somehow, though, that passing all these landmarks, these landmines, would also ease some burdens and tensions. And the truth is, I don't think I'm ready to lay down those weights. I feel a great pressure to stop grieving the loss of my sons before the arrival of my daughters, and I just don't think it is going to happen, and I'm not even sure I want it to happen. I'm not ready. I miss my boys profoundly, especially as I'm walking the time frame in which we lost them. I'm not ready for it to be all OK. I don't know if I will ever be, but I am really not ready now.

I have always been a woman capable of vast emotional volume. I will simply have to figure out how to hold both: to feel excitement and optimism over these new lives while allowing the terrible past to remain terrible, allowing the loss to remain real.

Everyone on board? Elevator up...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sending you positive thoughts and love...

Mama Jen said...

Lisa, I hope you can give yourself permission to continue grieving, if that's where you are in the process. It does not diminish your joy for your daughters; on the contrary, I think suppressing your grief would detract more from your joy. I still grieve the loss of my daughter, almost 5 years later and well into my second subsequent pregnancy. For me, it will never be okay that she died, but it did become a whole lot less painful once I had her healthy brother to care for.

We included this quote from Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet" on Delilah's birth and death announcements, and I still think of it often:

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.