Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bawling all over the Neighbor

Yesterday, I was pulling out of the driveway to head to a yoga class, in a pretty foul mood. It seems that from around 4-6 each day, if I am not actively involved in something, my mood takes a pretty nasty dive. I was attempting to pull myself out by going to yoga, but as I am backing the car out of the driveway, my neighbor and her two kids on their Razor scooters appear and flag me down. Oy. I'm in such a bad mood, and she seems so nice. This isn't going to end well, I'm thinking. I roll down the window, and then decide that is downright rude, so I turn off the car and hop out. She tells me she has been meaning to stop by, she's sorry she's been so remiss. I mumble something about how we've been busy setting up the place. She comes closer and tells me if there is anything I need I should definitely come by, she'd be happy to help with whatever. Oft. Here it comes. I can feel it. She's being too nice to me. You can't be this nice to me when I only have a fingernail grip on propriety. And...I'm bawling. Bawling all over the neighbor. Bawling in front of her two kids. I manage to squeak out that we just lost our twin sons at six months into the pregnancy, and that I'm sorry for being such a public mess. And G-d bless her, without missing a beat, she steps toward me, gives me a hug and starts crying too. Wow. She says I must be so strong, and she's sorry this happened, and simultaneous to the move too. She invites me to come on a walk with her and her kids in the park. I tell her that apparently I really need this yoga class, but I'd love to take a raincheck. Then she invites me to come over later that evening: she and another neighbor always drink wine and watch Dancing with the Stars on Mondays. And I hear myself saying yes.

And I do go over. I leave Bruno enjoying the house to himself. I walk out our front door clutching a Trader Joe's Really Cool Wine Find, and, one door down, I approach a new front door. I meet the other neighbor. I ask questions about the show. I drink wine. I make jokes. I tell stories, and some of them make us laugh, and some of them make us somber. I ask questions and listen to their stories. I hear neighborhood gossip. Juicy gossip. I am relaxed. I am having fun. I am invited back for next week. I am walking through a new door.

-L

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog...thank you for sharing that with me. Grief is an emotion that is both overwhelming and elusive. An avalanche to a roller coaster to a winding road. It hits you when you least expect it and often when you least want it. Like many things in life we can not control it. Some people handle it better than others...I myself tend to be a basket case with it. You both are survivors. I see your strength. Rather than allowing grief to control you you are taking control of it and embracing the many things that Pedro and Archer gave to you both...happiness, love, sadness. But they also gave you “no regrets”... the ulitimate gift of selfless love and giving of yourselves.

You should be proud of yourselves...laugh, cry, grieve, share and embrace life and all it has to offer. You have experienced the best and the worst and survived.

LJMK said...

thanks, shelly

Alyson Strong Pitt said...

Hi Lisa,
What a wonderful day!!! I am enjoying reading your blog and believe that your outings with the neighbors are a great thing!! Alex and I think about you and Bruno so often and can not wait to see you sometime soon!

LJMK said...

Thanks, Alyson. Can't wait to see you guys too.