Friday, April 2, 2010

Culture Clash

I think I just got criticized by my mother-in-law for the very first time in our relationship.

And, yes: I realize exactly how lucky I am.

Now Bruno swears that in his culture what occurred isn't a criticism, but rather, is a common utterance, like saying "good morning" or "what's up"

The basic gist of the critique is this: Mama Ratka is unsatisfied with the lunch I chose today, feeling that it is not enough food to feed three.

I asked for two eggs, scrambled with cottage cheese, and some tomatoes, cucumbers and red peppers.. And this is after a first breakfast of whole grain toast, nut butter and jam, a glass of milk and a glass of freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, and a second breakfast of dried apricots and cheese.

I feel that nutritionally and caloric-ally, I am doing just fine for it only being noon.

It seems to me that this moment is somehow a rite of passage, a moment where Ratka is taking our relationship to a new level. Where she feels comfortable enough to tell me what she really thinks. And I think I'm ready for it. I mean, it has been wonderful to have no conflicts, to skate on the surface and generate all kinds of good-will through our attempts to overcome our language difficulties. But perhaps the time is right to...

Bruno breaks my musing with a phone call in which he laughs at me and states that a Croatian Mama telling someone to eat more is the same thing as a Croatian Mama breathing in and breathing out.

And as I hang up the phone, Ratka appears at the door, asking what else I'd like to eat.

To keep the peace, I tell her I'd love some whole grain crackers. She says, "Samo crackers?" ("Only crackers?")

Breathe in. Breathe out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like every woman over 50 in my family! :)

Michelle said...

I can relate. These European mamas are genetically compelled to feed, feed, feed. And their husbands are built to eat, eat, eat, so they expect it from everyone.

Vedran said...

Listen to Bruno, it is never a criticism. If she has really taken your relationship to a new level then there is no way you could avoid this. You can never eat to much if it is your mother talking (or your mother in law which has moved to a next level). On the other side, if it comes from your wife, then you eat all the time too much. I make this experience all the time :-)